Welcome to the Environment section of our website. Portrun Development Association is committed to enhancing the areas natural environment and promoting awareness of environmental policies, issues and initiatives.
We are involved in environmental initiatives and aim to increase our participation in events such as;
- National Tree Week - We aim to support this initiative by planting native trees on the approach roads to Portrunny and in the amenity around the picnic area. Portrun Development Association recognises the benefit of native trees to our environment and the natural habit they provide for wildlife.
- Green Dog Walkers Initiative - In conjunction with Roscommon Co Council, Portrun Development Association promotes the The Green Dog Walkers initiative in the fight against dog litter. Dog foul is an issue in Portrunny. Portrun Development Association are asking dog owners to be responsible and ensure their dogs foul is removed from areas such as the car park, picnic area, jettys and the children's playground.
- During the summer (2017) a audio device was installed at Portrunny reminding dog owners of their responsibility. Two dispenser units containing plastic bags to assist dog owners in their responsibility to remove their dogs foul were also installed.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
Become a Green Dog Walkers volunteer and pledge to,
- clean up after your dog
- wear the armband or put the Green Dog Walker collar on your dog when walking
- carry extra dog waste bags
- be happy to be approached to 'lend' a dog waste bag to those without
- be a friendly reminder to other dog walkers to clean up after their dogs
- National Spring Clean - National Spring Clean is Ireland’s largest and most popular anti-litter initiative. The campaign encourages every sector of society to actively participate and take responsibility for the environment, by conducting clean-ups in their own local areas. Portrun Development Association in conjunction with the local community take part in this initiative and carry out an extensive litter pick on all the approach roads to Portrunny and each townland within the catchment area.
Some of our local community participating in the National Spring Clean 2017